Sunday, May 17, 2009

Free Fallin' Poetic: In Memoriam "L"

Be near me when my light is low;
when the blood creeps and the nerves prick
and tingle; and the heart is sick;
And all the wheels of Being slow.

Be near me when the sensuous frame
Is rack’d with pangs that conquer trust;
And Time, a maniac scattering dust,
And Life, a Fury slinging flame.

Be near me when my faith is dry,
And men the flies of latter spring,
That lay their eggs, and sting and sing
And weave their petty cells and die.

Be near me when I fade away,
To point the term of human strife,
And on the low dark verge of life
The twilight of eternal day.

This poem has touched me and changed me. I am shaped by what I read. These words of a long dead man ring so clearly in my head. I find them leaping from my lips as I wander and walk, journeying.
But what do they mean?
Surely, they are words of grief, anger, emptiness, happiness and great love

"Be near me," I speak softly, watching upon a winter's night, my light so low that a deep breath would snuff it, for I dare not breath, nor do I dare look upon that which I should not. I dare not acknowledge the person, for she enraptures me and I am to blame for what will happen to myself.

Do not let yourself fall to feelings that cause distress or grief, much is to the ends and means of love and happiness. To strive to be happy, to make yourself happy, you will only shorten your life and destroy your own beliefs in the process. Instead of being happy and living loud for the next moment. Live softly and be content, in the moment you confide in.

Let not the beings sway you, but let yourself choose your path. Do not long for what is good, for life is not all good. Life can be distinguished between memorable acts and follies and destruction and strife, but it can also be marked with beauty and brilliant design from higher beings on softer planes.

In the process of attaining happiness for yourself, you destroy the others around you. That is not to say, you should stop your dreams, it is simply to say you should carefully choose your way. Bring good council and be in good company, to never be provoked.

Maintain and preserve your life and live for those around you, to make them happier.

A smile can live through a million years and still be crisp and curved as the minute that it came and passed. If all the world simply smiled, just once, just for a moment in time, it would be beautiful.

This is Matthias, smile.

0 comments: